The trail into Horseshoe Canyon from the west rim trailhead is an old four-wheel-drive road that is suitable for horses.
- Group size limit is 10 animals and 10 people.
- A permit is required. Permits are free and may be obtained at the Hans Flat Ranger Station or by phone at (435) 259-2652 from 8 am – 4:30 pm only.
- Horses, mules, and burros are the only animals permitted. Other domestic animals including dogs are prohibited in the backcountry.
- Stock must be fed pelletized feed for 48 hours in advance of and during a trip in order to prevent the spread of exotic plant species.
- Grazing is not allowed. Animals may not be left unattended and must be staked at least 300 feet away from water sources and away from vegetation where possible.
- Stock must be kept in the wash bottom and may not be ridden up to the rock art.